BUNGALOW – SHUTTERED HEMP CONSTRUCTION
passive hemp house self-build
HEMP SHIVES – 150 mm HEMPCRETE BLOCK – ADHESIVE – LIME PLASTER – TOOLS & ACCESSORIES
Passive Self-build Shuttered Hemp Residential Construction.
Location: Southern Holland.
Project Type: Single Storey Residence, Passive House.
Project Duration: One Year.
ProjectSummary: A self-build passive house with external 450 mm walls of shuttered hemp cast in situ around a structural wooden frame, using hemp shives and a lime binder. Partial use of hempcrete blocks internally.
Methods of construction specific to this project
This selfbuild was constructed using a structural wooden frame, the hempcrete was mixed on site using hemp shives and a lime binder to create a wet mix which is then cast around the frame using shuttering panels. The thick walls have no cavity and add racking strength to the structural frame as well as conserving and protecting it. A small section of this construction was clad with 150 mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks to speed up dry times for plastering. All interior and exterior surfaces were plastered using traditional lime plasters. A French drain was installed around the bottom of the exterior walls filled with sea shells to ensure good drainage over the buildings life
Hempcrete is the perfect natural building material. Being made of a mixture of water, hemp shives and a lime based binder. Hempcrete stores large amounts of CO2, making Hempcrete an extremely environmentally friendly carbon negative building material, a great choice for any potential house builder who wishes to create a healthy environment to live in.
- Structural Wood
- Hempcrete Shuttering panels
- Pan Mixer
- Hempbuild Hemp Shives
- Hemp Binder
- Lime Putty
- Hydraulic lime
- 3mm Washed Plastering Sand
- 150mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks
- Isohemp Mortar Adhesive
- Tools & Accessories
Additional construction methods available on this type of project
Cast hempcrete needs the proper amount of time to dry before protective plasters can be applied. Cladding the internal of the wood structure with a 12 cm hempbuild ISO hemp hempcrete block acts as permanent shuttering for casting hempcrete. This method allows internal plaster work to commence a lot quicker as well as reducing the over all drying time of your build.
Other options open to anyone planning a project such a this would include:
- Hemp shives could be cast as an insulating floor slab or roof insulation, allowing the entire thermal envelope of the residence to be formed from Hempcrete.
- A range of plasters and finishes could be used. Traditional sand and lime mixes may be used. Clay based plasters and paints maybe used. Internal or external wood cladding may be used.
Hempbuild Hemp Shives Shuttering Construction Advantages
- Flexible and adaptable mortar, Material is light weight allowing flexible design features.
- Thermal mass and insulation values of the cast hempcrete can be impacted by how mass of wall is compressed.
- A high thermal inertia offers a comfortable environment in all seasons.
- Quick and easy implementation.
- Excellent durability over very long time periods.
- Excellent fire resistance, hempcrete is inflammable and does not release any toxins or gases.
- Easy to fix items directly to the wall, gutters, lights, etc.
- Natural humidity regulation: Thanks to its high permeability to water vapour, the hemp block acts as a moisture buffer.
- Mold resistant: Hemp has a strong natural resistance to mold and bacteria.
- Environmentally friendly: Our hempblocks are carbon negative and contain no VOC’s or harmful toxins for inhabitants.
- Acts as a carbon sink, Hempcrete is a carbon-negative building material.