Apartments – Wooden Frame Structure with Internal & External Hempcrete Blocks.
Project Type: A Three Storey 3500 sq. ft. Apartment Block with Penthouse.
Project Duration: 7 weeks.
ProjectSummary: A three storey apartment block built using 300 mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks fixed to the exterior of a cross laminated timber structure providing an insulating envelope that will help preserve the timber structure. The 300 mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks plastered with range of coloured mineral renders leaving the structure free to breath naturally over its lifetime while conserving and protecting it. Interior non-load bearing wall partitions created with 120 mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks.
Methods of construction specific to this project
Hempbuild’s Isohemp 300 mm hempcrete block was cladded to the exterior timber frame structure of the apartment block to create a highly durable, highly insulating envelope that also works to regulate moisture by allowing the structure to breath.
The 300 mm Hempbuild Isohemp blocks were fixed and fastened with stainless steel wall ties to ensure bond to brick and mechanical fixing to the wooden frame structure. Once all the blocks were laid and fastened, two coats of render were applied with reinforced mesh and angle beads to add to durability. Angle bar supports were placed around the building to support the blocks before they are laid across windows and over walk ways where hempcrete blocks are elevated.
Interior partition walls: The first row of 120 mm blocks are adhered together with Isohemp adhesive and placed on a water proof band to prevent riding damp. The wall is quickly constructed using adhesive and wall fasteners are installed where necessary along the ceiling and wall perimeter. PCS Interior plaster was applied at 10mm thickness to a high quality finish, the walls were then allowed 2-3weeks to fully dry out before decorating and painting.
- Reinforced mesh was bedded in to 10mm of mineral base coat.
- Protective Weather seals were applied along windows external frame and 20mm angle beads were applied to external corners.
- All electrical sockets and services were cut out of the hempcrete blocks.
- 10mm of lime plaster was applied to the hempcrete block exterior in 2 coats leaving a high quality surface.
- 10mm of PCS breathable lime plaster was applied to the interior hempcrete block dividing walls in 2 coats leaving a high quality surface ready to paint.
- Hempbuild 300 mm and 150 mm Isohemp Hempcrete Blocks
- Supporting Angle Brackets
- Isohemp Hempcrete Lintels
- Isohemp Mortar Adhesive
- Reinforced Mesh – Weather Frame Seals – Angle Beads
- Lime Exterior Plaster
- PCS Interior Plaster
- Tools & Accessories
- Stainless Steel Wall Ties
Additional construction methods available on this type of project
Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks offer a range of options for non load bearing partition walls. By increasing the thickness of partitions (120/150/200 mm) the end result is an increased soundproofing and a greater thermal insulation value. Thereby increasing the buildings efficiency and related energy savings.
A range of plasters and finishes could be used. Traditional sand and lime mixes may be used. Clay based plasters and paints maybe used. Internal or external wood cladding may be used.
Hempbuild Isohemp Hempcrete Block Advantages
- Quick and easy implementation. Very large thermal mass.
- Hempbuild’s Isohemp hempcrete blocks have an excellent fire resistance (class B for the rendered block), hempcrete is inflammable and does not release any toxins or gases.
- Easy to fix items directly to the wall, gutters, lights, etc.
- Thermal regulation: The hemp block naturally stores and dissipates accumulated heat, which help to keep the building cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Natural humidity regulation: Thanks to its high permeability to water vapour, the hemp block acts as a moisture buffer. Deals well with moisture and dampness in old walls.
- Mold resistant: Hemp has a strong natural resistance to mold and bacteria.
- Environmentally friendly: Our hempblocks are carbon negative and contain no VOC’s or harmful toxins for inhabitants.
- Fire resistant: It is inflammable and does not release toxic gases during its combustion.