farmhouse hempcrete renovation & conversion
Deep retrofit farmhouse conversion
90 mm HEMPCRETE BLOCK – MORTAR ADHESIVE – PCS PLASTER – TOOLS & ACCESSORIES
Deep Retrofit Hempcrete Conversion to Multiple Farmhouse Buildings.
Project Type: Three separate single storey farmhouse barn structures. Approx. 2500 sq. ft.
Project Duration: 12 weeks.
ProjectSummary: A deep retrofit renovation of old barn utilising Hempbuild Isohemp 90 mm hempcrete blocks to the internal of the bricks walls, significantly increasing the walls insulation value and thermal mass performance of the buildings structure.
Methods of construction specific to this project
Cladding internal face of the brick structure with 90 mm hempbuild hempcrete block requires mechanically fixing the blocks to the brick using galvanised wall ties, this allows the walls to be straightened as there built for a smooth even background for application of pcs plaster. All remaining cavitys are filled with loose hempcrete mix to ensure proper moisture diffusion over the life of the structure.
- Removal of all internal plaster and bricks cleaned.
- Loose bricks replaced and re-pointed.
- Galvanised wall ties mechanically fixed.
- 90mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks fixed to internal brick using Isohemp adhesive and wall ties.
- Small cavitys between hempcrete blocks and uneven brick filled with loose hempcrete mix and lightly tamped.
- A 10 mm coat of PCS plaster was applied to a high standard finish.
- Drying time 2-3 weeks
- 90 mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete blocks
- Hemp Shivs
- Isohemp Prokalk Binder
- Isohemp Mortar Adhesive
- PCS Interior Plaster
- Galvinised wall ties
- Tools & Accessories
Additional construction methods available on this type of project
Hempbuild’s Isohemp hempcrete blocks are specially adapted for interior insulation and work particularly well on a uneven brick surface. Another option available in such cases are to use a larger 200mm Hempbuild Isohemp hempcrete block internally to significantly increase thermal phase shift thus improving the buildings performance and reducing energy cost.
A range of plasters and finishes could be used on the interior. Traditional sand and lime mixes may be used. Clay based plasters and paints maybe used or internal wood cladding may be used, all depending on the specification from the client and architect.
9 cm Hempcrete Block Advantages
- Quick and easy implementation, lightweight.
- Easy and problem free to fix items directly to the wall, gutters, lights, etc.
- Thermal regulation: The hempcrete block naturally stores and dissipates accumulated heat, which help to keep the house cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Natural humidity regulation: Thanks to its high permeability to water vapour, the hemp block acts as a moisture buffer. Deals well with moisture and dampness in old walls.
- Mold resistant: Hemp has a strong natural resistance to mold and bacteria.
- Environmentally friendly: Our hempblocks are carbon negative and contain no VOC’s or harmful toxins for inhabitants.
- Fire resistant: It is inflammable and does not release toxic gases during its combustion.